How To Make Roadside Mee Mamak At Home
I opened my fridge today and there were peaks and mountains of opened food, waiting to expire in my fridge. So before they do, I whipped up fried noodles with some ✌🏻extra sauce✌🏻to make it more authentic.
Let me break down the secret:
Fry dried shrimps in a medium hot pan. After a minute, add shallots and garlic cloves.
Raise the heat now and when the shallots turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste.
Add chilli paste into the mix.
Then add soy sauce, fish sauce and some water.
* I realised that I should have used more paste and soy/fish sauce, so I actually mixed more of them separately and added them into the noodles mixture later. It's fine.. this noodles stir fry has a lot of room to correct taste mistake.
Add a packet of noodles. (I added flat rice noodles just for fun)
Excuse the 👋🏼shaky left hand holding the camera. So here's the mamak secret. Add a few generous spoonfuls of leftover curry into the mix. This is Ingredient X in the Roadside Mamak recipe.. it's true 😬
Part the Red Sea and add two eggs. For me, I like to salt the eggs a little so that the egg pieces further flavour the noodles.
If you feel like you can take more calories, top the mountain with deep dried shallots.
I added some fried fuchok just to deplete them, taste good too!
Recipe serves 3-4
Yellow Noodles - 1 packet
Eggs - 2
Dried Shrimps - 2 tbsp
Shallots - 6
Garlic - 3-4 cloves, bruised
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 1/2 tsp
Chilli Paste (cili giling) - 4 tbsp
Soy Sauce - 3 tbsp
Fish Sauce - 2 tsp
Curry - 6-7 soup spoonfuls
1. In medium hot oil, fry and release the flavours from dried shrimps, garlic and shallots.
2. When the shallots turn translucent, add chilli paste followed by soy sauce, fish sauce and some water to dilute the paste. You can add a little soy and fish sauce first and adjust the balance more as you proceed.
3. Add yellow noodles or combine with flat rice noodles if you like. Then add leftover curry to the mix
4. Stir and part and the noodles. Break the eggs, add a little salt, stir them until they are 90% scrambled and then fold them into the noodles.
5. Add deep fried beancurd skin or top it with deep fried shallots for an extra kick.